Friday, August 26, 2011

The Woodpile and Having a Firm Foundation

The other day my companion and I were asked to help an older lady pile up some firewood in her shed.  We willingly agreed and set up a time to help.  We got there on the appointed day and started piling wood.
   As I was stacking the wood, I noticed that the end of the pile wasn't very stable.  I rearranged the wood and continued stacking.  Not too much later I noticed that the pile had shifted again and that it was no longer stable.  I rearranged more of the wood hoping that would be the end of my problems.  Well, once again, after a few more minutes of stacking wood, something shifted and wood started falling.  Finally I moved enough wood to see the ground.  That's where I found my problem.
   Embeded in the ground was a log.  That wouldn't have been much of a problem except that this log was crooked.  Whatever I tried to stack on top of it would end up rocking and would shift the pile.  In order to fix it I would need to move at least half of what I had already stacked and spend a considerable amount of time and energy to remove or straighten that log.

Just like that woodpile, our lives will rock and shift and fall if we are not on a firm foundation that we can trust.  So what should be the foundation of our lives?


Mattew 7:24-27; Hymns #85

Broken Things to Mend


Jesus Christ is the only sure foundation in this life that will lead to true happiness and peace.

Christ himself taught this in Matthew 7:24-27 and in 3 Nephi 11:39-40.  When we fail to build our lives upon His truth and His gospel we are building on a sandy foundation; a foundation that will fall to the storms of the world and of satan.  But when we build upon His teachings and His gospel we are promised a sure foundation; "a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12)

I know that Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.  He does know the way.  He has felt and suffered for our every sin.  He has also felt the pain of every sickness and disease, every mental, physical or spiritual suffering that we have ever endured. (Alma 7:11-13)  We can have full confidence in the Lord because He knows perfectly what we are faced with.  He knows the way.  He is The Way. (John 14:5-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment